Monday, June 23, 2014

Tomato Mozzarella Lasagna Roll Ups

Yet another Pinterest idea that made it to my food board that I wanted to try it immediately!  I glanced at the recipe but mostly just used the picture then ran with it.  I have included the original recipe to give credit where credit is due...

Any chance I get, I try to make our food a little "healthier" than what we normally eat.  The handful of times I have made lasagna, it has been loaded with ground meat, hot Italian sausage, pepperoni, etc.  We are meat lovers, but when I saw this idea, I decided to try it sans meat to focus more on the taste of the Roma tomatoes and cut some of the grease that's in my usual lasagna.  However, you will never see me reduce the amount of cheese I use. : )   

I loooved this idea for many reasons, one of which is that it was super easy and uses minimal ingredients.  It was a less overwhelming than making a lasagna. And my number one pet peeve about lasagna is cutting and serving it- it usually, without fail, falls apart on me.  These lasagna rolls stayed rolled perfectly and I did not have to worry about cutting anything apart and trying to keep it together as I transferred it from the glass casserole dish to the plate.

The recipe called for an egg white and when I make lasagna I usually mix the egg in with the Ricotta cheese, but was fresh out of eggs today.  I went ahead and attempted the recipe anyway and everything worked out fine... so, I will not include the egg white in my version, although the recipe link does.  Also, I need to call attention to the fact that yes, I use jarred sauce!  My mother made homemade sauce my entire life and is very Italian, but I have not gotten to the point of trying my own sauce.  So for now, jarred sauce it is! (Sorry mom!)

Tomato Mozzarella Lasagna Roll Ups

One box of lasagna noodles
Part skim milk ricotta cheese 32 oz.
One jar of sauce (I like Bertolli's Italian Sausage)
Shredded mozzarella cheese 4 cup bag and 1 extra cup
6-7 Roma Tomatoes
Garlic Salt
Oregano
Parsley
Onion Onion Seasoning (Tastefully Simple) (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare lasagna noodles.  After noodles are cooked and the water is drained, rinse each noodle in cold water and lay flat on wax paper or in a container.

Combine ricotta cheese with generous amounts of garlic salt, parsley, and Onion Onion.  Add about a cup of shredded cheese to the mixture.  *I will apologize here again as I have done before, many times when I set out to try a recipe, I don't measure and just go with the flow.  So, season to your liking.

Cut Roma tomatoes into thin slices.
Spread ricotta cheese mixture over noodles and place tomatoes on top of ricotta cheese.

Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of tomatoes and roll each noodle.

Dump sauce over lasagna rolls and bake for 30 mins.

Remove from oven and cover with remaining cheese.  Bake an additional 5-6 mins. or until cheese is melted.  Sprinkle oregano over melted cheese.  ENJOY!



cheeeeesygooooodness<3LML

2 comments:

  1. Could I use fresh Lasagna sheets and still have the same result?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would definitely think so! Thanks for reading and let me know if you get the chance to try it out!

    ReplyDelete