Monday, October 15, 2012

Choripán Americano

     The word "Choripán" comes from two words; "chorizo" and "pan."  And it is exactly what it's name states:  A piece of chorizo (sausage) in bread, and what could be more satisfying than that?!  Choripán was invented in Argentina as Argentinian street food, but is also popular in Peru, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, and Chile (where I fell in love with it!)  Actually, I probably fell in love with choripán a long time before I lived in Chile... or a similar version of it at least. 

     Whether at the annual family reunion, or the annual 4th of July party, I could always count on there being hot sausage sandwiches at our parties!  I believe my Aunt Bev was usually the one responsible for the hot sausage.  Everyone would head straight for the crock pot under "Herb's Haven," as it was the definite "must have" at all of our get togethers for years!  Cooked for hours in the crock pot along with onions and peppers, the hot sausage was unbelievable on one of those soft buns- I would devour it.  I'd maybe even have two... one early in the day and one later on at night after having some beverages.  All in all, hot sausage reminds me of my family and the important times we celebrated together.  

     I have many happy memories of hot sausage, so when I encountered a similar food in South America, no wonder I indulged when hanging out with friends and feeling nostalgic of home!   I was introduced to choripán at a welcome asado (barbecue) in Santiago.  I was alone, knew no one, but was greeted with great hospitality and choripán!  I remember how enthralled I was with the new culture and I quickly took to the food.  As I traveled to Puerto Aysen, a tiny isolated town where I would live for the next 9 months of my life, I encountered choripán on a weekly basis.  With not much to do in Aysen, if we were hanging out at someone's house, we would grab some chorizo and bread at the store and fry up some choripanes!  When we traveled on the weekends, we would make sure to bring choripán.  I had choripán in Argentina when I went to visit Pola's family.  I associate choripán with togetherness, good friends, family, great conversation, and travel- pure happiness!  When I was feeling homesick, choripán offered me comfort...and when I gained nearly 40 lbs., it was the reason!
    
    This is not a difficult recipe by any means, but one that I wanted to share because of the story and the cross-cultural ideals that it ties together.  It amazed me that a food that was so important to my family up in Pittsburgh, was just as important to the Chileans at the bottom of the world- when I eat it, I forever will think of my family and of my "Chilean family..."

    Today, hot sausage sandwiches are one of our favorite weeknight meals. My other half, Ricardo, was the one who taught me how to make it this way, quick and easy, if you want to switch it up from the norm.  You should definitely try it and let me know what you think!


Choripán Americano

Extra Virgen Olive Oil
half a green pepper
half an onion
Fresh ground pepper
Seasoned Salt (Tastefully Simple)
Hot Italian Sausage
Brat buns or Hoagie buns

Slice green pepper and onion and sautee in pan drizzled with EVOO.
Season with pepper and seasoned salt and set aside.
Cook sausage and slice down the center to make sure it's done.
Serve on bun with mustard, american cheese, and peppers and onions.  Simple.


Que Delicioso!




Peace, Love, and Choripán  ~LML



No comments:

Post a Comment