Sunday, August 24, 2014

Weekly menu planning

It's that time of year again!-  The time when us full time moms turn into full time super moms/teachers!  With that in mind, today was my first day of planning out an entire week of meals and shopping for all of the ingredients.  I have been asked many times in the past about how I find such a variety of ideas and how I manage my time with weekday meals, getting the kids to their activities, AND being "on top of" my teaching career so I wanted to do a post with some tips on making things a little easier...

Planning up front is a little bit more work, but I end up feeling less stressed during the week if I know what's coming up. AND I get to avoid answering the dreaded "What's for dinner?" daily question!

~I start planning meals for the week on Saturday night.  My main source of ideas is Pinterest.  Sometimes I will just see a picture and go at it on my own, other times I will follow the recipe exactly.

~As I am making the menu for the week, I am making my shopping list at the same time.  If I do not finish the planning on Saturday, I finish up Sunday morning before I head out shopping, or literally while I am at the store!

~I do my shopping for the week early Sunday morning.

~I write the meals for the week on our chalkboard menu in the kitchen.

~I make dinner for Sunday night and I prep or cook Monday night's dinner also.  I usually try to make a crock pot meal for Monday so I can just come home, heat it up for the kids, and get our daughter to taekwando.  If it is not a crockpot meal, it is something quick.  If I have leftovers from Monday's meal, we usually eat them on Wednesday or Thursday.

~One of the weekend nights we normally go out to dinner.  Since we just started playing on a co-ed soccer team on Friday nights, we have been eating out after our game on Fridays.

Here is an example of a week's worth of meals, our "back to school" menu this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment