Thursday, September 4, 2014

Baked Mediterranean Summer Chops

This meal came from a last ditch effort by someone in our household to shed a few pounds quickly at the end of summer, heading into the new school year!  (Hint:  It wasn't me!)  

Soooo... I LOVE healthy and headed to Pinterest for some "healthier" meal ideas...when I saw a recipe called "Mediterranean Pork Chops" I got super excited!  Our family loves pork chops- incredibly tasty and easy to eat, (especially for our little guy who has a difficult time chewing and swallowing meat : )...) and we eat pork nearly every other week.  I glanced over the ingredients and didn't really read the recipe, but decided to take the "idea" and create my own version.

Of course I used three of my most favorite seasonings that I use on EVERYTHING, from Tastefully Simple, and I swear my family eats everything that I put these seasonings on!  (You can also substitute with minced garlic, onion powder, and any brand seasoned salt-it just won't be as good!) 

 Seriously though- Ricardo doesn't even eat veggies, but I expanded the variety of veggies that I usually include in our meals and I was incredibly surprised by the end result!- so was the fam!  No joke, probably the best pork chops I have eaten... and the best part?  EVERYONE ate all the veggies!

Mediterranean Pork Chops

Boneless pork chops
Olive oil
Garlic salt
Chopped basil
Black pepper
Shredded carrots (or I use matchstick carrots! EASIER!)
Zucchini
Yellow/summer squash
Tomatoes
Asparagus
1 Lemon
Provolone cheese slices
White rice


Preheat oven to 400 degrees and drizzle olive oil in glass casserole dish.  Lay chops in single layer in dish and season generously with garlic salt, black pepper, and basil.  Top with a drizzle of olive oil.
(*I think my obsession with olive oil comes from the time I spent in Chile... they add oil to EVERYTHING!) 



While chops are baking, heat pan and drizzle with oil as well.  Chop all veggies- zucchini, squash, tomatoes, and asparagus and add to pan.  Also add carrots.  Squeeze the juice of half of the lemon over the mixture.


Sprinkle veggie mix with black pepper, onion onion, garlic garlic, and seasoned salt to taste, and add extra oil as needed.  Sauté until veggies are soft.  

(*You should be cooking the white rice while chops are in oven and veggies are sautéing...)


*Again, I apologize for my "lackadaisical style" when trying recipes- measuring seasonings, times for cooking, etc.- but let the chops cook as long as it takes for the juices to run clear, they can be slightly pink in the middle.  Probably about 20-30 mins...

Then take them out of the oven and top with the veggie sauté mixture.  Squeeze the juice from the other half of the lemon over veggies.


Set oven to broil on low.  Top each chop with half a slice of provolone cheese.

Broil on low until cheese is melted and serve over rice!


Topped with extra shredded cheese and black pepper!



<3PORKtheotherwhitemeatLML.

No comments:

Post a Comment