Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Steak and Cheese Hoagies

I have been making steak and cheese for years, but I think I've finally nailed it... I started with Steak-Ums (Lol), then changed to a frozen prepared steak for cheesesteaks from Walmart, and tried all different cuts of real beef.  They were all fairly good, but most of them were too tough/dry to fully enjoy.  This week I found some EXTRA thin cut beef and it totally made the difference!

Steak and Cheese Hoagies

Steak- Extra Thin Cut Beef Top Round (for Milanesa)
Olive oil 
Garlic Salt
Fresh black pepper
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce 
1/2 cup beef broth
Onion
Green Pepper
Hoagie/sub rolls
Mayonnaise
Provolone cheese slices



So this is the meat that I used.  It was so thin that I didn't even have to cut it...I literally just tore it apart with my hands!

Drizzle olive oil in pan and heat on medium.  Cut/tear meat into thin strips and add to pan.


Season meat generously with Garlic Garlic, Onion Onion, and Seasoned Salt.  I live by these seasonings!  I use them on everything I cook.  They are made by Tastefully Simple and I have them linked above if you are interested in ordering... if not, just go ahead and season with dried minced garlic, dried minced onion, and any seasoned salt.  Add some cracked black pepper.

            

As the meat starts to brown, add 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce and mix into the meat.  Keep turning meat with tongs as it browns.  You are looking for the liquid from the Worcestershire sauce to cook out eventually.

                            


Meanwhile, you can go ahead and slice your peppers and onions.  Usually I just do green peppers and onions, but this time I had gone out to the garden and grabbed some fresh hot banana peppers and poblano peppers as well, so I went ahead and threw them in for my sandwich.



Drizzle another pan with oil, heat on medium, and saute your peppers and onions.  I also like to season my peppers/onions with seasoned salt and pepper.



While sauteing your veggies, don't forget to keep an eye on the meat!  Once you have noticed that the liquid from the Worcestershire sauce has boiled out, add the half cup of beef broth.  Do the same...turn the meat with tongs and cook until the broth liquid has reduced and cooked out.
Now is a good time to taste and add more seasonings if needed...


Depending on how "done" you like your veggies, they are probably finished after 10-15 mins. or when your onions are fairly translucent.


The buns that I use are from the bakery at Walmart, super soft and delish!  I highly recommend them, or just use any other sub roll...


Once the liquid from the beef broth has cooked out, turn heat to low and separate your meat in the pan into servings for each sandwich you will make.  Put provolone slices on top of each serving.  We love our cheese here, so I put two slices per sandwich.  


Cover and heat until cheese starts to melt!


Add a sprinkle of garlic salt on top of the melted cheese.

Mmmm.  Cheeeese.....





Add mayo to your bun, scoop that goodness out the pan and throw it on the bun...top with those yummy sauteed peppers and onions, squish it down and chow time!


With hot peppers...

Daaaaaaaaaamn.  That's good...

<3LML

No comments:

Post a Comment