Monday, August 8, 2016

Ground Pork Lettuce Wraps

Pork Lettuce Wraps

As soon as I discovered that the kids loved lettuce wraps, this recipe became part of my dinner rotation.  It is SUPER simple and each time I make it, it seems to get better too!  I obviously started with a base recipe and made it my own, adding stuff and not including other things to fit our needs.  The original recipe is below.


The original recipe calls for chicken and I have seen recipes that use either chicken or pork.  I think I have decided that I prefer to use pork, no real reason, but feel free to experiment though as I've made both and they are pretty similar!


Iceberg lettuce leaves
White rice
1.5 lb ground pork
Half an onion chopped
Olive oil
2 tbsp minced garlic (fresh or jarred)
Chopped green onions
1/4 cup + hoisin 
1 tbsp + soy 
1 tbsp rice vinegar
Sesame oil drizzled
Black pepper

Optional toppings:
Peanuts
Sesame seeds
Red pepper flakes
Bean sprouts
Rice noodles





Pull lettuce leaves in whole or almost whole pieces from the head of lettuce and wash/drain.  Set aside.

Prepare and cook 1 cup of white rice while you are making the pork mixture.

Drizzle a pan with olive oil and heat.  
Add ground pork to pan, break it up, and cook until browned.  
Add chopped onion and minced garlic and cook with the meat until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant, stirring frequently.
Add chopped green onion and mix it in.
Add hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and rice vinegar to the pan, mixing until meat is coated in sauce and it is heated through, maybe about 10 mins.
Drizzle the mixture with sesame oil and stir.
Crack fresh black pepper over top of meat mixture.
Taste the meat and at this point you may add more hoisin sauce and soy sauce if you wish.  I just add and mix until it tastes good to me, so sorry!- no exact measurement of the amount.
Add peanuts and sesame seeds, again, the amount to your liking, and fold into the pan with the pork.


 
Take a lettuce leaf and spoon rice onto it and then pork mixture on top.  Add additional toppings like red pepper flakes, bean sprouts, and rice noodles.  Roll up and enjoy!

  






<3LML.

No comments:

Post a Comment