Thursday, July 9, 2015

"Undone Sushi" Salad

My favorite time of year has to be gardening season!  Even though I don't get that great of a crop of veggies here in TX due to the extreme heat, I still love the actions of maintaining a garden.  Even with the heat though, I have found that I am pretty successful at growing lettuce each year.  This summer, however, has been pretty damp for where we live so I am having some pretty significant growth in my plants!  





I plant an artisan lettuce mix each season which includes arugula, one of my favorites!  It grows and matures really quickly (even in the heat) and I love being able to go outside and harvest a super fresh batch of lettuce when I crave a salad.



"Undone Sushi" Salad

lettuce (artisan- arugula, etc.)
chopped red onion
chopped cucumber
chopped avocado
1 can tuna in water
Hellman's mayo
black pepper
soy sauce


For this simple salad, I started to throw together whatever veggies I had. I chopped red onion, cucumber, and avocado and for some reason, I started to think back to when I studied abroad in Spain and my host mom used to serve us tuna over a bed of lettuce as a salad.  I just loved it, so I thought I would go ahead and use tuna to top the salad I was making.  Keeping in mind the combination of cucumbers and avocado with the tuna, I thought maybe I could achieve a salad that mimicked sushi!


I drained and mixed one can of tuna with a scoop of Hellman's.



Then I added the tuna on top of the chopped veggies and bed of lettuce.  I topped the salad with fresh cracked black pepper and hm, dressing?...soy sauce, of course, to bring my "sushi" idea together!






I was very satisfied with the result- super simple, very tasty, and rather healthy!  It also definitely curbed my sushi craving and I didn't even have to leave the house!

<3LML

No comments:

Post a Comment