Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Creamiest Cheese and Mac with Pork chops and Almond Green Beans

So I literally spent an entire day in the kitchen today and produced a tasty soup, part of dinner for tomorrow, and a complete dinner for tonight.  It was all part of my realization that I go back to work tomorrow after a long, relaxing Christmas break and again will be faced with the task of balancing my family life with my ever more demanding job.
 
I am trying to utilize my time as wisely as possible: on Saturdays I plan the menu for the week as well as the shopping list.  Sunday morning I hit the grocery store, and now decided that in addition to schoolwork on Sundays, I will be doing any meal prep for the week that I can. Today I made crockpot chicken so when I come home tomorrow night, I will only need to make rice.  I also made chicken tortilla soup that I will be taking in my lunch this week, as well as the meal that I am posting.  Feeling very accomplished today!
 
I have always looooved my mom's homemade Mac and cheese and have finally gotten around to creating my own recipe- pretty delicious!  
 
 
 
I made this for a nice sit-down Sunday night dinner because it does take some time to prepare.  I served this with my favorite pork chop recipe (see my earlier post "Weeknight Rush." from Oct. 12, 2012) and almond green beans.
 
Creamiest Cheese and Mac
 
3 cups elbow macaroni
2 cups milk
3 cups water
16 oz Velveeta Cheese block
Garlic salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Italian bread crumbs
Real bacon bits (optional)
 
 
Preheat oven to 375.  
 
Start boiling 2 cups milk, but be careful you don't over boil!  When the milk just starts to boil, add 3 cups of elbow macaroni.  Stir continuously and add 1 cup of water.  Keep stirring and when you see that the liquid has been reduced some, add the next cup of water. Continuously stir and add third cup of water when it looks like more liquid is needed.  Keep stirring and boiling until the noodles are cooked.  Reduce heat to low.  DO NOT drain milk/water!  
 
Cut the 16 oz. Velveeta block in half and add 8 oz. of the cheese to milk and noodles.  Stir, stir, stir until the block of cheese melts.  Add next half of cheese block and stir until melted.  As you are stirring, be sure you are scraping the bottom of the pot as the melting cheese burns super easily!  
 
 
Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and stir until melted.  Sprinkle garlic salt into mixture to taste. Pour into 9x11 glass casserole dish and top with shredded mozzarella cheese and breadcrumbs.  
 
 
Bake for 20 mins.  Serve hot and add bacon bits if you wish!   SOOOO yummmmmy!
 
SERVE WITH....
 
Almond Green Beans
 
Fresh Green Beans
Walnut Oil
Tastefully Simple seasoned salt
Almond slivers
 
 
 
Cut, wash, and steam green beans.  In bowl while green beans are still hot, drizzle them with walnut oil and lightly salt with seasoned salt.  Add almond slivers and toss.
 
 
 
 
GETYOURCHEESEON!  <3LML

No comments:

Post a Comment